Friday 8 March 2013

Clemantine and Rose Hip Syrup Cake

On a recent trawl through my cupboards I came across a bottle of rose hip syrup that I had received in my foodie pen pal parcel back in October last year. I had kept meaning to find a use for this unusual ingredient but it generally kept slipping my mind and I consistently failed to get around to using it. But finally on a lazy Sunday afternoon a few weeks back I dug the syrup out again and began trawling the web for some inspiration on what to do with it as I wasn’t really sure what rose hip syrup could be used for! 

A little bit of Googling and I came across this gorgeous looking Winter Cake (which also provides instructions on how to make your own rose hip syrup if you feel inclined to do so). It may no longer be winter but this cake uses olive oil as the fat and doesn’t have any eggs so is perfect for vegans. I was inspired to add my own twist to this recipe by using clemantines to produce a cake with a really rather nice subtle aromatic flavour from the rose hips. This cake is great served spread with a little butter (or vegan spread) and enjoyed alongside a refreshing cup of Earl Grey tea.



INGREDIENTS

200g plain flour
150g whole wheat flour
150ml rosehip syrup
120ml olive oil
Zest from 3 clemantines
130ml clementine juice
1.5 tspn bicarb

Pre heat the oven to 180 deg c / 350 deg f and line a loaf tin with non-stick baking parchment.

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl add all of the wet ingredients and then gradually pour the liquid into the dry ingredients, stirring as you go until everything is well combined.

Transfer the cake batter to the lined tin and place in the oven for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes the cake should be golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and enjoying.

This cake will keep well in an air tight container for up to a week.


With thanks to Tamzin at Salad and Sequins who originally sent me the rose hip syrup. And the grgeous Winter Cake recipe that inspired me to make this cake over at Delightful Delicacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment