Monday 1 October 2012

Vegan Coconut Ice

Due to circumstances out of the control of my foodie pen pal parcel sender I am yet to receive my parcel this month but fingers crossed some goodies will appear soon!

So in the mean time I thought I would share the recipe for one of the treats I sent in my parcel to Christine this month. When I inquired as to the sort of things Christine might like to receive in her parcel she informed me she was vegan so it provided the perfect excuse to devise a new recipe that would be ‘Something Missing’ worthy. For some reason I had been having a real craving for coconut ice recently. This sweet treat reminds me of child hood holidays by the sea side where I would frequent traditional sweet shops and splurge my pocket money on sickly slabs of fudge, nougat and the pink and white treat that is coconut ice. This confectionery is usually made with condensed milk but I substituted this with coconut milk to make a vegan version of this sickly, sugary sweet.



INGREDIENTS

200ml coconut milk
450g icing sugar
150g desiccated coconut
Red food colouring

Place the coconut milk and icing sugar into a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved.

Then stop stirring the mixture but bring it to a gentle simmer and heat until a soft ball temperature of 113 deg C or 240 deg F is reached.

Once 113 degrees is reached remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the coconut until well combined.

Pour half of the mix into a mixing bowl and add a couple of drops of red food colouring, stir until the desired pink colour is achieved.

Line a 20cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper and spread the pink half of the mixture into the bottom of the tin. Then spread the remaining white mixture on top and smooth out.

Leave over night to set then turn out of the tin and slice into bite size chunks.

5 comments:

  1. What a simple, but fantastic sounding recipe! Thanks so much for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nicely simple but don't think you can go too far wrong with sugar and coconut mixed together :o)

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! I want to try these ASAP Love and Shine CourtStar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a sweet tooth definitely do try these out...they are yum!!!

      Delete
  3. OMG I love coconut ice!!! This looks fab! I am your foodie penpal this month and an very excited!! Love your blog x

    ReplyDelete