Sunday 6 May 2012

Gluten Free Earl Grey Biscuits


Following up from my last 'foodie pen pal parcel post' I thought I would post the recipe that I made to send to my pen pal Kathryn last month. I wanted to include something home made in my parcel but wanted something that would survive a journey across the Irish Sea courtesy of Royal Mail. Of course it had to be a recipe in keeping with my blog and have something missing. Biscuits seemed the obvious choice for something that might survive the trip and as a mad fan of a good old cup of tea I had been wanting to try adding earl grey to a baked treat for a while. And so gluten free earl grey tea biscuits seemed the obvious choice!



INGREDIENTS

120g butter
140g icing sugar
1 egg
150g brown rice flour
75g potato flour
120g wheat-free flour blend
2 earl grey tea bags
½ vanilla pod
½ teaspoon cream of tartar

Pre-heat the oven to 190 deg C / 370 deg F

Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and beat until well combined.

Add the flours, the contents of the 2 tea bags, the cream of tartar and the seeds scrapped out of the vanilla pod and mix until combined.

Turn the mixture out onto a (gluten-free) floured surface and roll into a log shape approximately 5cm in diameter (don’t worry if it still seems a little bit sticky and lose at this stage), wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour.

After an hour remove from the fridge and using a sharp knife slice the dough into 1cm thick discs.
Arrange the biscuits on a lined baking sheet leaving a small gap between each and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden in colour.

Allow to cool and enjoy…or as I did melt 50g of milk and white chocolate in 2 small bowls in the microwave (I started zapping them for 30 seconds then for another 10 seconds as necessary to avoid over melting and cooking the chocolate) then dip the biscuits into the melted chocolate, transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to set before tucking in!

Recipe adapted from Gluten Free Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment